Although attending a medically-supervised detox is a crucial component to the start of one’s recovery, detox alone is not enough to fully heal from years of substance abuse. For many, going home after detox and staying clean and sober is very difficult due to the amount of triggers that could lead to relapse. Being under the care of physicians and in intensive therapy is beneficial to those integrating back into a healthy, sober lifestyle.
Making the transition to this lifestyle is easier with a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP), which typically follows an inpatient medical detox. In PHP, you are able to delve into the core of what caused your addiction under the care of therapists, psychiatrists and various other substance abuse and mental health professionals. The medical staff is able to guide you towards a productive sober life and help you cope with trauma, stress and other issues you may struggle with.
Here are some of the benefits of a PHP:
- 24-hour medical care: The period after physical detox often involves setbacks which, if left unattended, can lead to physical and mental health issues. While attending a PHP, you have constant access to medical and psychiatric care with doctors who specialize in addictions and can properly treat them. Seeing a regular physician who is untrained in addiction can be dangerous, as they may prescribe a medication that could be abused and potentially lead to relapse.
- Full-time residential care: Trained staff is available 24 hours a day to help with any issues that may arise. If a problem occurs, trained patient care specialists whose expertise is in substance abuse addiction are on hand to help at any time. Many newly sober individuals are tempted to relapse and return to old ways, but in a PHP, staff is always there to intervene.
- A well-structured environment: After years of abusing drugs and alcohol, it can be difficult for those in recovery to have a healthy daily routine. A PHP helps by creating a structure and schedule for you while allowing for some freedom. Learning to have a daily routine is essential toward starting a healthy and sober life.
- Continued individual and group therapy: In a PHP, you attend daily group and individual sessions with licensed addiction therapists where you are able to process and learn coping skills that are integral to maintaining sobriety. These sessions are individually tailored to your needs and give you the opportunity to learn a positive skillset for staying sober.
- Building a sober support network: While living at a PHP residence, you are able to connect with other people in recovery and make new friends who are facing the same struggles as you and can help prevent a relapse. You are also encouraged to have a sponsor.
- Nightly support and 12-step groups: Those newly in recovery often don’t have a personal transportation. Nightly transportation to AA/NA meetings and support groups are provided by PHP residences.
After a period of using drugs and alcohol, you need time to heal mentally, physically and spiritually. Those who participate in a PHP are given that opportunity. Drug addictions form over time and behind the addiction are underlying issues which must be resolved in order to stay sober. By extending the length of treatment, you are giving yourself the chance to learn and comprehend healthy coping mechanisms, relapse prevention, healthy responses and more. When you return home, you will be equipped with the necessary tools to take on life sober.